Small Balcony Furniture Ideas + Some Decor Inspiration
If you’re looking for small balcony furniture ideas to spruce up your outdoor space, I’ve got some ideas for you! Finding outdoor patio furniture that fits can often be a struggle, especially when most balconies are pretty small and narrow.
The good news is there are plenty of ways to make the most of your space and plenty of options for compact furniture pieces. If you’re not exactly sure what you need this list offers some ideas and stylish options.
Plus, at the end of this article, you’ll find some decorating tips and balcony decor inspiration to help you get started!
*This page may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I may receive a small commission. I only recommend products that I love and trust! **
Small Balcony Furniture Pieces You Have To Try!
A Small, Foldable Balcony Bistro Set
A compact outdoor bistro set is a perfect way to add a dining space to your small outdoor area. This folding outdoor dining set is visually lightweight and space-saving. It’s the perfect way to add a pop of color to your balcony decor. Plus it’s pretty cheap! Check out my other roundup of Small & Stylish Outdoor Bistro Sets for more balcony dining furniture ideas.
- Natural, Boho Front Porch Decor Ideas.
- Small Outdoor Decor Ideas That Will Elevate Any Small Patio Or Porch.
Space-Saving Half Round Outdoor Table
These tables nestle against the railing or wall and occupy very little floor space. Perfect for breakfast on the balcony. You can also, try these balcony railing tables (from Amazon) to save floor space.
I Found some space-saving balcony tables here on Amazon.
A Balcony Bar Set
A slim, balcony bar set that you can attach to your balcony railing provides maximum space-saving opportunities. When you just need a spot to have your coffee or breakfast outside, balcony bar sets are an easy and affordable solution.
Some Balcony Bar/Pub Table Picks From Amazon:
- 2-Piece Industrial Balcony Bar Table Set (Amazon)
- Folding Mounted Balcony Table (Amazon)
- Hanging, Folding Balcony Railing Bar Table (Amazon)
A Multipurpose Outdoor Bar Table with Ice Bucket
Try a multipurpose piece like this patio bar table with a built-in ice bucket from Overstock. Perfect for outdoor dining and entertaining.
I found some cool tables that double as a drink cooler:
- Outdoor Wine Cooler Bar Table (Amazon)
- Garden MPG-PC01 Wooden Patio Cooler (Amazon)
- Rattan Rolling Cooler Cart Outdoor, Portable Beverage Bar (Amazon)
A Small Outdoor Loveseat/Sofa
Just because you have a small balcony or patio doesn’t mean you can’t have a comfy lounger. This detachable, L-Shaped sofa is small enough for a balcony (Check out the customer picks in the reviews section). Get cozy on this stylish, natural outdoor setting and enjoy the outdoor air this summer. The matching table is perfect for that glass (and bottle) of wine or morning coffee.
Small Outdoor Sofa Picks:
- Outdoor Acacia Wood Loveseat and Coffee Table Set – Teak Finish
- 3 Piece Poolside Bobbi Outdoor Bistro Set, (In multiple colors)
- Bamboo Round Outdoor/Indoor Daybed
- Gray Rattan Outdoor 3-Seater Sofa
Outdoor Accent Chairs
If you’re really short on space a pair of club chairs would do well to create a comfortable outdoor space. This natural outdoor club chair set is made with solid acacia wood and features a modern curved design. Its plush outdoor cushions, provide optimum comfort and are covered with a non-porous material, making it waterproof and easy to clean.
A Tiered Shelf for Potted Plants Or Accessories
Add some greenery to your outdoor oasis without sacrificing space. Try an outdoor tiered shelf to make use of vertical space. shelves like these are perfect for storing plants, decor items, lights, etc. Use them to create a lush balcony garden. Maximize that vertical space with slim, tall shelves to house all your lush plants and flowers.
A Half Canopy Umbrella
Traditional patio umbrellas can be too large and cumbersome for small balconies. These half-canopy, off-the-wall patio umbrellas are the perfect solution.
They stand flush against a wall or vertical surface to provide cooling shade wherever you need it. They’re mobile so you can move them around as much as needed.
If you’re really short on space, then try a Railing Umbrella Holder (Amazon) instead. Perfect for the tiniest of balconies, this nifty holder allows you to mount your umbrella onto your balcony railing to help block out those harsh rays.
A Small Balcony BBQ Grill
Summer is right around the corner, and it’s safe to say that outdoor BBQs are going to look a lot different this year. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy outdoor cooking. A small balcony grill that is safe and doesn’t take up too much space is a great way to spend time outdoors and create a sense of normalcy this summer (the old normal).
A Swing Chair
When you need something that’s a little more playful and cozy, these egg swing chairs really deliver the goods! A charming accessory that provides incredible comfort and style to your outdoor space. The options are endless here so let your personality shine!
Removable Floor Decking
Technically not furniture but definitely worth mentioning. Most balconies are outfitted with unattractive concrete flooring. Which makes these temporary wood deck tiles so popular.
Add some warmth to your balcony with removable flooring. There are so many styles & color options out there it won’t be hard to find a set that suits your style. They’re super easy to install and you can style them in any pattern/combination you like.
Tips For Upgrading Your Small Balcony/Patio
1. Soften the space with rugs and pillows and throw to create a warm and inviting outdoor space. If your furniture is simple and neutral, this is the perfect opportunity to add some color and personality to your space.
2. Have fun decorating but be practical. Outdoor spaces are a joy to decorate but you have to be mindful that your furniture will be exposed to the elements. Choose furniture that can withstand the weather, and if it can’t, then invest in a simple furniture cover (see some affordable options here).
Use a cart or mobile shelf for your decor so you can easily transport everything in and out, and make sure your rug is suitable for outdoor use (I found some modern Machine-Washable Outdoor Rugs from Ruggable).
3. Add some ambiance with lighting. String lights are a popular choice for outdoors—they create the perfect mood lighting, and can be draped and maneuvered wherever you need them.
If you lack outdoor outlets, many string lights are battery-operated and made specifically for outside use (see below for options). Another option is lanterns, so your candles stay safe from the elements.
Small Balcony Design Ideas For Inspiration
Sometimes all you need are a few wooden pallets and some plush cushions to create a cozy outdoor space. If you’re on a budget just grab some free crates from your local hardware store, stack them up then get a few outdoor cushions (from Amazon), add a few throw pillows, and voila! You’ve just created a comfy, rustic outdoor lounge area.
What’s great about these pallets is that you can paint or vanish them to get the look you want. It’s an affordable and versatile option that’s hard not to consider.
I hope this was helpful and I hope you’re now inspired to create that beautiful outdoor oasis you’ve been dreaming of. Our outdoor space has never been more important than now. Make it a special place where you can relax and be at peace. And don’t forget to have fun!
I hope this was helpful and I hope you’re now inspired to create a beautiful outdoor space. Don’t forget to have fun!
Want More Small-Space Furniture Ideas?
- 5 Simple Upgrades for a More Inviting Outdoor Living Area
- Tips To Mix Antique And Modern Décor And Furniture
- What Are the Must-Haves for a Cozy Home?
- Multifunctional Furniture: 7 Basic Pieces To Maximize Small Spaces
- 10 Built-In Kitchen Table Ideas For Tight Spaces.
- 15 Small Kitchen Islands For More Prep & Storage Space
- 18 Small & Stylish Entryway Bench Ideas – For A Great First Impression